Friday, November 20, 2009

Part 2...

After arriving at UAB hospital, I was informed that I had a decision to make. With my BP still climbing, both of our lives were in danger. I was given a shot to strengthen my baby's lungs, which would take 12 hours to work, and then a second shot would be administered and another 12 hours to take affect, then they said they would give me some time to discuss with my parents and spouse what decision to make. (my spouse was home from Iraq for a month to heal from an injury to his foot) There were tests and ultrasounds to find out how the baby was doing. Finally the doctor came in and told us that there was about a 70% chance that the baby would live if delivered now, but if not both our lives would be in great danger. Due to my high BP they were concerned about stroke and placental abruption, which would very likely take us both. The decision was made with my declining health. They would preform a c-section right away, only a couple of hours after my first shot which would not have time to work. This was the scariest moment in my life! All I could do was pray, I knew it was up to God to save my baby and me. After a grueling spinal, they tried 8 times before they had to get someone else to get it done, I was prepared for the surgery. All I remember is laying there praying the entire time for my baby to be spared.
When he was delivered there was not a sound, I was the one crying. They took him to a corner of the room that I could not see and began working on him. After what seemed like forever, only a few minutes in reality, they said they were taking him to the ICU. I asked to see him first, reluctantly the nurse brought him around for me to see and allowed me to kiss his foot before they put him into an isolette and wheeled him away. He weighed 2 lbs. 7 oz. and was 14" long.
I was in recovery for a long time before I was allowed to see anyone, or get any news of my baby. My blood pressure had plummeted so I was alone with God for a long time praying. I was finally taken to a room, and by this time, more family had arrived, I was surrounded with love. I was given a Polaroid picture of my son. My family was allowed to go into the ICU by twos, and after a good scrubbing was allowed to touch his little foot, or hand. They took videos of him for me, as I was unable to get out of bed at all for over 24 hrs. It was the longest time of my life waiting to be able to only touch my baby.

When I finally was able, even with everyones warnings of his condition, I cried at the site of his little body consumed by so many tubes, and surrounded by several machines. I just wanted to pick him up and hold his little body against mine. He was so tiny, he could not even cry. You knew when he was hurting though by the expression on his little face. I had never in my life before prayed like I did in those 10 weeks he was in that hospital.

I was finally able to hold him after a couple of days, but only to lift him off the bed for the nurse to put down a clean blanket. It was about a week before I was able to cradle him in my arms. How I cherished those times! I was released after about 2 weeks, and stayed with a family member who lived 20 miles away. It was a trial to leave him behind. Everyday from open to close I stayed by his bed begging to change diapers, anything just to touch him. My dear sweet mom left her job and moved with my son and I into a small apartment so that I could have both of my babies close. A wonderful church, Homewood Church of Christ, allowed us to live in one of their apartments until my baby could go home. So many people loved and supported us thru that time! I will forever be grateful for it!
Can I just say God was right there! The whole time, thru all the agonizing roller coasters of his recovery and relapses, He was right there! God brought us thru this and many other battles to come. They let us come home a little early because the doctor said,"mom is here every single day more than we are, she knows everything to do, they will be fine." I called it our 'good behavior release' lol. Oh getting home was both exciting and terrifying, I set my alarm for every 3 hours,(the same schedule they had him on in the hospital) to change, check body temp, and feed. He was such a good baby!
The only signs that he was ever in that condition was his heart condition, which was later found a direct link to a genetic disorder which he and his baby brother both have. He had heart surgery when he was able to put on a little weight, at three months old he was 5 lbs. We went back to that hospital for the surgery, he came thru it great and only had to stay overnight!
God has been so good to us and always so faithful to provide!
This child of mine is His, and He spared him for a great purpose, I can hardly wait to learn what my little monkey is called to do!

Isaiah 43:11-13
I, yes I, am the Lord, and there is no other Savior. 12 First I predicted your rescue, then I saved you and proclaimed it to the world. No foreign god has ever don this. You are witnesses that I am the only God," says the Lord. 13 "From eternity to eternity I am God. No one can snatch anyone out of my hand. No one can undo what I have done."
Praise the Lord!!! Thank you Father!!!


5 comments:

  1. I remember seeing him for the first time. I cried like a baby. Even though his body was discolored and bruised, He was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony of God's love and provision...and the power of prayer...and the love of a mother and grandmother...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is so powerful. Thanks for sharing this precious testimony sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought back such memories...only God knows what this little man has endured!
    To remember what he looked like then, bruised and tiny, and to hug and kiss him today---what a miracle!

    God is FAITHFUL!

    By the way, in case you ever forget, he was only 3 inches longer than a barbie doll!

    I love you! Great post! Great miracle! GREAT GOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A MIRACLE WORKING GOD is who we belong to Tiffany and another testimony of that is seen in your precious son.

    GOD is GOOD and FAITHFUL and His plans are awesome.

    Thank you for sharing such precious memories with us so that we too can rejoice in seeing what GOD has done and continues to do in your life and that of your children.

    Amazing GRACE!

    Love you,
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete